Brian Gastle, Western Carolina University (WCU)
The following materials were presented and discussed at the 2019 International Congress of Medieval Studies (ICMS), in the session “Practical Approaches to Teaching Gower,” jointly sponsored by the John Gower Society and TEAMS. You are welcome to use these materials for your own classes, but please credit the source and/or contact the presenter to let them know.
Materials relate to teaching Gower in a lower-level general Education class. In particular, they focus on placing the Tale of Florent alongside other ‘Loathly Lady’ analogs.
- Syllabus for 200-level gen ed medieval lit class:
- Research Essay Assignment and Rubric:
- Final Exam Essay Questions: Final-Exam-Essay
- Translation of The Turke and Sir Gawain (Based on the TEAMS Edition):
- Marriage of Sir Gawain and Dame Ragnell