The Second International Congress of the John Gower Society:
“John Gower in Iberia: Six Hundred Years”
Valladolid, Spain 18-21 July 2011
The International John Gower Society held its second International Congress July 18-21, 2011 in Spain, hosted by the Department of English Studies of the University of Valladolid.
About the Conference
Sessions were held on the campus of the University of Valladolid, a lovely, historic city an hour by convenient bullet train from Madrid. Meals and housing accommodation were available on and off campus, in university-owned residences, as well as in select private hotels at special rates. Our host was the Facultad de Filosofía y Letras, with Dr. Ana Sáez Hidalgo handling arrangements. Conference plans included focused sessions on the 15 th-century manuscripts in the collections of El Escorial and the Royal Library in Madrid translating the Confessio Amantis into (respectively) Castilian and Portuguese.
- Ana Sáez Hidalgo (U. Valladolid)
- Berta Cano Echevarría (U. Valladolid)
- Laura Filardo Llamas (U. Valladolid)
- Marta Mª Gutiérrez Rodríguez (U. Valladolid)
- Tamara Pérez Fernández (U. Valladolid
- Patricia San José Rico (U. Valladolid)
- Robert F. Yeager (U. West Florida, US)
- Helen Cooper, Cambridge University (UK)
- Elizabeth Dutton, University of Oxford –Worcester College (UK)
- John H. Fisher, University of Tennessee (US)
- Andrew Galloway, Cornell University (US)
- Fernando Galván Reula, Universidad de Alcalá de Henares (Spain)
- Santiago González Fernández-Corugedo, Universidad de Oviedo (Spain)
- Richard Firth Green, Ohio State University (US)
- John Hines, University of Cardiff (UK)
- Russell A. Peck, University of Rochester (US)
- Toshiyuki Takamiya, Keio University (Japan)
“Restaurante Patio”: This restaurant is adjacent to the Patio Herreriano, a sixteenth-century monastery recently renovated in order to house the Museum of Spanish Contemporary Art. The dinner will start with a reception in the front garden of the museum. Very conveniently located downtown, it is within a five-minute walking distance from the Plaza Mayor.
We visited two villages near Valladolid, Peñafiel (Tuesday 19th, the castle and the wine museum) and Urueña (Thursday 21st, the book museum e-LEA and a guided tour of the town).
- Peñafiel (Tuesday 19th) – 20 € (incl. visit to the castle, the museum and the winery)
- Urueña (Thursday 21st) – 5 € (incl. guided tour and visit to museum).
Night Tour of the City
The town hall tourist office led a guided tour of the city the evening of Monday 18th.
Funding Institutions and Collaborators
- Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación
- Universidad de Valladolid – Centro Buendía
- Universidad de Valladolid – Facultad de Filosofía y Letras
- Universidad de Valladolid – Departamento de Filología Inglesa
- Diputación de Valladolid
- Ayuntamiento de Valladolid
- Sociedad Española de Lengua y Literatura Inglesa Medieval (SELIM)